Managing your super

Your super is your money and we make it simple for you to manage

Our ABN and USI numbers have changed

Please be aware that from 1 July 2021, our ABN and USI (Unique Superannuation Identifier) numbers have changed:

New ABN 33 813 823 017
New USI 33 813 823 017 602

Changing jobs? Take us with you

If you change jobs, simply ask your new employer to pay your super into your MyLife MySuper account. Choosing one super fund is a great idea, as you can boost your retirement savings – most Australians have more than one super fund, and over your working life that could mean thousands of dollars wasted in fees. You’ll need to complete our Choice of fund form and give it to your employer.

Make sure your super goes to the right account.

You may need to give your employer our details:

USI: 33 813 823 017 602    ABN: 33 813 823 017 

MyLife Online

Access your super account online whenever it suits you, through our member secure site MyLife Online. You can check your balance, view statements, update your details and more.

More about MyLife Online

Switching your super strategy

As your life changes, so can the way you want to invest your super. We make it easy for you to update your investment options, and can guide you on your choices if you need help.

There are no fees for switching between our various investment options – and you can combine options to suit your age, income, retirement goals and preferences.

You can switch your investment strategy online, through MyLife Online, or download a change of investment form, complete it and send it back to us.

Choose who your super goes to

It’s important to nominate a beneficiary for your super, just in case something happens to you. This is not automatic, although MyLife MySuper will always try to identify and pay your super (and any insurance benefits) to the most appropriate family members. You can update your nomination details at any time.


Binding beneficiary – valid for 3 years

As long as your nomination is valid, MyLife MySuper is bound by your choice and must give that person (or people) your super when you pass away. To nominate a binding beneficiary, you will need to complete a form. Binding nominations are valid for 3 years and you can renew, change or revoke your nomination at any time.

Binding beneficiary form

Non-binding beneficiary

Naming your preferred beneficiary or beneficiaries can help MyLife MySuper decide who will receive your super, but please be aware that it is non-binding. You can change or revoke your nomination at any time. Nominate a non-binding beneficiary by calling us on 1300 695 433.

Call us

Accessing your super

It’s your super, and it has one important role: to provide you with an income when you retire. Generally, contributions to super cannot be withdrawn in cash until you meet a condition of release. This is known as preservation. Under some circumstances, you can access your super early, but there are government preservation rules that restrict when it can be paid.

    For further information please call us on 1300 695 433 (8:00am to 8:00pm AEST/AEDT, Monday to Friday, except national public holidays).

    You can also set up a Pre-Retirement Pension after you reach preservation age, while you’re still working.

    Find out more

    When can I access my super?

    Usually, you can access your super once you reach your preservation age, which depends on when you were born.

    Date of birth Preservation age
    Before 1 July 1960 55
    1 July 1960 – 30 June 1961 56
    1 July 1961 – 30 June 1962 57
    1 July 1962 – 30 June 1963 58
    1 July 1963 – 30 June 1964 59
    From 1 July 1964 60

    You can also receive your super benefits if you:

    • reach the age of 65
    • leave your employer on or after age 60
    • retire earlier due to disability
    • are diagnosed with a terminal medical condition.

    Compassionate grounds

    Under very specific circumstances, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) can approve your request to release your super before you reach retirement. These include essential medical treatment or travel to receive treatment, mortgage default, modifications to your home or car, palliative care for you or a dependent, or payment of the funeral for a dependent. Please contact the ATO directly on 13 10 20 or visit to find out more.

    Financial hardship

    If you are experiencing financial hardship we’ll do our best to help you. Please call the Department of Human Services (DHS) on 1300 131 060 to determine your eligibility.

    Temporary resident

    If you are permanently departing Australia you may withdraw your super, but a higher tax rate will apply. Make sure you claim your benefits within 6 months of departure, as MyLife MySuper is now required to transfer your super benefit to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) after that period. This does not apply to Australian or New Zealand citizens, permanent Australian residents or people holding an Investor Retirement (class 405) visa or a Retirement (class 410) visa. 


    We're here to help

    We can help guide you if you have any questions about managing your super.